Just got back from Maui with my work where I was lucky enough to see my idol from when I was 16, Joan Baez, perform live! I have been a huge fan of hers for decades and she performed her song, “Diamonds and Rust” which is one of my faves. I was inspired enough to recall how to play that song — I have been playing this one since I was 20. Thanks Joan for always being one of the reasons I started playing guitar.
This video is awesome on so many levels.
First, the song. What is this pseudo-rasta beat? Is she borrowing some old-school lessons from the Police?
Second, the hamster. I just can’t. Never has a hamster been better-featured in a video.
Katy, I know you were away for awhile, but thanks for coming back and bringing stuff like this.
A few years back I auditioned to be someone’s wedding performer. Now, I’ve performed at weddings before (for friends, for free) but this was for strangers. They wanted to see a demo reel.
So I very diligently put on a nice dress, makeup, and recorded several songs that they requested…..even though I was looking to teach guitar lessons, NOT perform at a wedding. (Thanks, Craigslist!)
Here is my dorky audition. Needless to say, I didn’t get the gig!
At the time, I was suuuuuuuper bummed. But you know what? Who cares! Now I have this great recording, one that I would never have made had I not created a failed audition video!
By the way, I still love this song.
So I’m looking for guitar students again and also putting out some new stuff just for fun.
Here’s a recent and very rough cover of an old Stevie Nicks song, 24 Karat Gold. It’s a demo of a demo! I like hers better, but maybe it’s just the old school drum machine.
Been a minute!
As I’m updating this site and getting it back up to speed, here are some things I’ve been up to.
- Continuing to work at an amazing org fundraising for international eye care
- Doing more background vocals with incredible backup singers and musicians
- Consciously getting back into music and figuring out the role it will have in my life
- Practicing guitar, making more demos, and recording covers of Kate Bush, Taylor Dayne, Belinda Carlisle, Sheryl Crow, and many, many more
- Participating in the biggest protest in US History (Women’s March on 1/21/17)
- Listening to an inordinate amount of Stevie Nicks ad-nauseum
- Getting back into teaching! I am currently looking for students! More about that later.
Hi folks! Been awhile. An update from me: this past June myself and two of my lovely coworkers worked on an album together! I had the pleasure of doing backup vocals for my friend Ray’s band, Shade. Listen carefully and you can hear two lovely ladies on background vox amongst Ray’s lovely singing.
Here’s the link to the album. Enjoy!
For your Saturday.
I can just hear him in the studio, bossing people around. Love it. Also, his songwriting process is very similar to mine. Just say gibberish you find something that sounds OK.